SONNET Echo Express III-D Desktop Thunderbolt 3 Expansion Chassis (Mac only)
Ships in 3-5 days
- Echo Express III-D - Thunderbolt 3 Edition Thunderbolt 3-to-PCIe Card Expansion System
- Power cord
- Thunderbolt cable
- Connects Three Full-Length PCIe Cards to any Mac With Thunderbolt 3 Ports - Use multiple high-performance PCIe cards at the same time
- Three PCIe 3.0 Slots - Supports three full-height, single-width cards, or one double-width card plus one single-width card
- 40Gbps Thunderbolt 3 Interface - Offers 2750 MB/s of PCIe bandwidth, doubling the performance of Thunderbolt 2
- Two Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) Ports - One port used to connect to the computer; second port supports daisy-chaining of up to five additional Thunderbolt peripheral devices to your computer, attaching a single USB peripheral device, or connecting up to two 4K displays or one 5K display
- Remarkably Quiet - Large, temperature-controlled, variable-speed fans that automatically cool the cards, plus computer-modeled design that reduces airflow turbulence and velocity, combine to provide quieter cooling for all cards
- Built-in Universal Power Supply - Integrated 300W power supply with 75W auxiliary power connector
- Rugged Aluminum Housing - Provides robust and secure protection
- Every Thunderbolt 3- and macOS-compatible Card Supported - Works with every Thunderbolt 3- and macOS compatible PCIe card, regardless of length or height
- 5-Year Warranty Included at No Extra Cost - No extra charge for a 5-year warranty
- Thunderbolt Cable Included - Includes 1.0-meter Thunderbolt 3 (40Gbps) cable
- Mac with Thunderbolt 3 ports
- Mac with a Thunderbolt 2 or Thunderbolt port with an Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter
- macOS 10.12.6+
- PC with Thunderbolt 3 ports
- Windows 10 (64-bit Edition Version 1703 or greater)(1)(9)
Important Note: Windows computers require the latest BIOS and Thunderbolt drivers to support this product. Check with your computer manufacturer for update information.
Connect Three Full-Length PCIe Cards to Any Mac with a Thunderbolt 3 Port
For pros working in the creative fields, a computer’s processing power alone is not enough to get the job done. A prime example is the latest MacBook Pro®, which, while offering great performance, lacks the PCIe expansion slots necessary to support specialty cards that connect pro video and audio inputs, transcode data, and connect to high-speed storage and networks. Instead of slots, these computers include ultra high-performance Thunderbolt 3 ports to support peripherals. Sonnet’s Echo Express III-D - Thunderbolt 3 Edition leverages the Thunderbolt 3 ports’ PCIe data to connect PCIe expansion slots outside of a computer. This desktop Thunderbolt-to-PCIe card expansion system enables you to connect three professional PCIe cards - including video capture, audio interface, SAS or SATA HBA, 16Gb or 8Gb Fibre Channel, 10 Gigabit Ethernet, and RAID controllers - at the same time to any Mac with a Thunderbolt 3 port.
The Echo Express III-D - Thunderbolt 3 Edition features a 40Gbps Thunderbolt 3 interface, which offers double the PCIe bandwidth and connectivity of Thunderbolt 2, and yields up to 2750 MB/s of bandwidth, enabling it to support 4K video capture and processing cards at high frame rates, and 16Gb FC cards and dual-port 10GbE cards at full performance(1)(2). With the ability to handle multiple demanding, high performance PCIe cards, support for connecting two 4K displays @ 60Hz or one 5K display @ 60Hz(3), and support for a vast array of Thunderbolt(4) and USB(5) devices, Thunderbolt 3 is a leap forward in every way.
Three PCIe 3.0 Slots, No Compromise
Sonnet’s Echo Express III-D - Thunderbolt 3 Edition supports three full-size PCIe cards, up to 12.28 inches (full-length) long. The III-D integrates a universal 300W power supply and includes a 75W PCIe power connector for cards that require supplementary power, such as the Avid® Pro Tools|HDX or the RED® ROCKET-X.
Even with all that power, the III-D is enviro-friendly; it automatically powers on or off whenever the connected computer powers on or wakes, or powers off or sleeps, respectively.
40Gbps Thunderbolt 3 - The USB C That Does It All
The Echo Express III-D - Thunderbolt 3 Edition includes two Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports; the first is used for connection to your computer, while the second supports daisy chaining of up to five additional Thunderbolt peripheral devices to a single port on your computer(4). The III-D includes 10Gbps USB 3.1 Gen 2 support, meaning you can connect a USB device to the second port using the proper cable or adapter. The III-D also provides full support for connecting two 4K displays @ 60Hz or one 5K display @ 60Hz(3). For connected devices requiring extra power, 15 watts is provided to connected bus-powered devices.
All-Around Smart Design
The Echo Express III-D - Thunderbolt 3 Edition is wrapped in a rugged, yet lightweight aluminum outer shell, resulting in a system light enough to carry without weighing you down, yet sturdy enough to securely protect the installed PCIe cards.
Its two large, slow-spinning fans, enhanced with computer-modeled airflow management, ensure that even hot-running cards remain reliably cool without the need to install an extra PCIe blower card that would prevent the use of one of the three slots. Because the fans automatically speed up and slow down as needed, you don’t have to guess which speed setting to select, and there’s no need for tools to change settings. There is no power switch on the chassis, nor is one needed, because the III-D automatically powers on and off with your computer
Every Thunderbolt 3 and MacOS Compatible PCIe Card Supported
The Echo Express III-D - Thunderbolt 3 Edition supports three single-width, full-length PCIe cards, or one double-width, full-length card plus one single-width card, enabling it to support every Thunderbolt 3- and macOS-compatible PCIe 1.1, PCIe 2.0, and PCIe 3.0 card available.
In operation, the Echo Express III-D - Thunderbolt 3 Edition is remarkably quiet—it may be comfortably used in noise-sensitive environments, and it is one of the quietest Echo systems. The natural convection of warm air through the PCIe cards is assisted by ultra-quiet, temperature-controlled, variable-speed fans, and vented out the top of the chassis with reduced air velocity and turbulence, resulting in little fan noise.
RED ROCKET Supporter
Sonnet designed the Echo Express III-D - Thunderbolt 3 Edition to accommodate the RED ROCKET or RED ROCKET-X and its BNC connector bracket (for HD-SDI output) card/bracket pair in a single slot. This Echo chassis includes two BNC connector mounting holes, enabling the installation of the card in one slot and its BNC connectors in the chassis’ mounting holes, leaving the two remaining slots open.
Designed for BNC Connector Cables
Echo Express III-D’s back panel has two BNC connector mounting holes, enabling the use of a RED ROCKET card without the need to install the BNC connector bracket that would normally occupy a valuable PCIe slot.
Thunderbolt 3 (40Gbps) Cable Included
To connect the Echo Express III-D - Thunderbolt 3 Edition to your computer, Sonnet includes a 1.0-meter Thunderbolt 3 (40Gbps) cable.
- Windows computers require the latest firmware (BIOS) and Thunderbolt drivers to support this product. Check with your computer manufacturer for update information. Not all Mac-compatible PCIe cards are also compatible with Windows. See the PCIe Card Thunderbolt Compatibility Chart for details.
- While the Echo Express III-D - Thunderbolt 3 Edition features a 40 Gbps Thunderbolt 3 interface, some computers equipped with Thunderbolt 3 use an implementation of Thunderbolt 3 technology that limits PCIe performance to 20 Gbps. The MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports) has this limitation in the two right-hand Thunderbolt 3 ports, while offering full performance from the left-hand ports.
- Full performance requires the use of the included Thunderbolt 3 (40Gbps) cable, or other Thunderbolt 3 (40Gbps) cables; look for the Thunderbolt icon AND the number 3 on the connector housings to identify these cables.
- One 4K monitor directly supported. Two 4K monitors requires either a 4K monitor with multi-stream transport support (DP out), or a Thunderbolt 3 to Dual DisplayPort adapter. 5K monitor requires a Thunderbolt 3 to Dual DisplayPort adapter. All Thunderbolt 3 Macs support two 4K monitors. Most Thunderbolt PCs support two 4K monitors.
- Second Thunderbolt 3 port supports Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt 2 peripheral devices on Macs used with the Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter, sold separately.
- Second Thunderbolt 3 port supports USB 3.1 Gen 1 (5Gb) or Gen 2 (10Gb) devices when connected with proper cable or adapter (sold separately).
- PCIe cards sold separately.
- Power supply will operate as low as 90VAC, with linear power deration from 300W @ 115VAC to 240W @ 90VAC.
- 1-meter Thunderbolt 3 (40Gbps) cable is not compatible with ThunderLok 3.
- Official certification pending.