Roland: R-88 8 Channel Field Recorder
Ships in 3-5 days
Features in V1.10 Update:
- Polyphonic WAV Function - ability to save 2,4,6 or 8 channels in a single file
- Control the R-88 using MIDI via the Roland UM-ONE mk2 USB MIDI interface - mix with a MIDI-controllable fader unit
- Selectable input delay per channel - adjustable by 0.05 - 20 ms - ideal for surround micing
- Cut-off frequency per channel - adjustable range 60-250Hz
- Sensitivity gain and headphone boost functions
- Expanded footswitch parameters
Roland: 8 CHANNEL PORTABLE FIELD RECORDER / USB INTERFACE / MIXER.
All in One Recorder, Mixer and Audio Interface - Anytime, Anywhere
The Roland R-88 establishes a new standard in professional portable recording by providing seamless integration of a recorder, mixer and a multi-channel audio interface. With eight discrete channels of audio recording plus a stereo mix, the R-88 is ideal for demanding multi-channel applications such as location sound design, event production, event videography, and live musical performance.
- Simultaneous recording of 8 channels + stereo mix (up to 96kHz)
- Up to 24bit/192kHz uncompressed linear PCM recording (up to 4 channels)
- 3 hours of recording time using 32GB SDHC card (24bit/96kHz, 10ch)
- 8 XLR inputs, 8 XLR outputs, AES/EBU input/output
- Built-in 8 channel mixer with 3-band EQ and MS microphone decoder
- Built-in 10in/8out USB audio interface to use with any common DAW
- Touch Panel Display for intuitive navigation
- SMPTE time code in/out for video sync
- BWF and iXML embedded metadata
- Supported power types – AA batteries, rechargeable Ni-MH battery, AC power, and 4-pin XLR external battery types.
Seamless integration of recording, mixing and an audio interface - a new dimension in professional portable recording.
The Roland R-88 includes all the features required by location sound professionals including a full on-board mixer, various timecode modes and slate tone/mic for memos. The stereo mix output on the R-88 is perfect for location sound recording applications enabling a stereo mix back to the camera to record reference audio or provides a stereo monitor output while simultaneously recording individual tracks. With 8 discrete outputs you can also embed the audio tracks into a SDI video feed by using a multi-channel SDI audio embedder. It also features professional AES/EBU digital I/O to digitally record from or send to a mixing console or other digital source.
The R-88's built-in mixer is equipped with a 3-band EQ enabling a quality stereo mix to be monitored and/or recorded simultaneously along with each discrete audio track. The large touch screen display enables clear and intuitive device setup and control. You can lock the display and front controls to avoid any accidental operations.
Beyond field applications the R-88 is nicely suited for post-production environments featuring a built-in 10-input/8-output USB audio interface for multi-channel recording. The eight-output ports are especially useful for surround projects. The interface function is also able to provide a backup record mechanism simultaneously recording all tracks to a DAW of choice.
The R-88 supports BWF and iXML metadata including tags such as SCENE, TAKE, TIMECODE_RATE, etc. This enables and intelligent and seamless interchange of data with editing systems such as Final Cut Pro and Pro Tools.
The R-88 is extremely portable weighing less than six pounds including eight AA batteries. Optional accessories include a custom carrying bag, and remote footswitch controllers for start, stop and record, marking functions, etc.
FaderMaster Professional MIDI control of the R-88
With the Roland R-88, you can easily expand your work surface to include a MIDI fader controller. Connect your device to the R-88 using a Roland UM-ONE mk2 USB MIDI interface and mixing becomes a breeze.
- Recorder Part
- 8 channels + 2 channels (stereo mix from built-in mixer) (44.1, 48, 88.2 and 96 kHz), 4 channels (192kHz)
- Signal Processing
- AD Conversion: 24 bits, DA Conversion: 24 bits
- Data Type
- Format: BWF (mono/stereo), Sampling Frequency: 44.1/48/88.2/96/192 kHz, Bit Depth : 16/24 bits
- Recording Media
- SDHC Memory Card: 4 GB to 32 GB, SD Memory Card: 2 GB
- Mixer Part
- Mixing Channels
- Input: 8 channels, Output: 2 channels (stereo)
- Channel Strip
- 3-band equalizer, Fader, Panpot, Stereo channel link
- Fader, Limiter
- Audio Input and Output Part
- IN 1-8 (Analog Inputs): XLR type (Phantom powered)
- Nominal Input Level: Input Sens Knob: -62 (SENS +6dB parameter = ON), -56, -50, -44, -38, -32, -26, -20, -14, -8, -2, +4 dBu (Input Level Knob: 0), Input Level Knob: Minus infinity to +8 dB Maximum Input Level: +26 dBu
Input Impedance: Mic Input (Input Sens Knob: -62 to -20 dBu): 4 k ohms Line Input (Input Sens Knob: -14 to +4 dBu): 5.6 k ohms
- OUT 1-2 (Analog Outputs): XLR type
- Output Bus: Channel 1/2, 3/4, 5/6, 7/8 or Stereo mix from internal mixer, Output Level: +4 dBu/-60 dBu, Maximum Output Level: +24 dBu, Output Impedance: 600 ohms
- OUT 3-8 (Analog Outputs): XLR type
- Output Bus: Channel 1/2, 3/4, 5/6, 7/8 or Stereo mix from internal mixer, Output Level: +4 dBu, Maximum Output Level: +24 dBu, Output Impedance: 600 ohms *When sampling rate is 192kHz, outputs 5-8 are inactive.
- MIX OUT (Analog Outputs): Stereo miniature phone type
- Output Bus: Stereo mix from internal mixer, Maximum Output Level: 2Vrms/-30dBu, Output Impedance: 1 k ohms
- Digital Input/Output: XLR type (AES/EBU, conforms to IEC 60958-4)
- Output Bus: Stereo mix from internal mixer
- Headphones: Stereo 1/4 inch phone type
- Headphones: Stereo 1/4 inch phone type, Output Level: 80mW (32 ohms), Output Impedance: 10 ohms
- Built-in Speaker
- Phantom Power
- 48 +/- 4 V, 10 mA per 1 channel (8 channels of phantom power available simultaneously)
- Residual Noise Level
- OUT 1–8: –80dBu (Input Level Knob: Min), MIX OUT: –90dBu (Input Level Knob: Min)
- Total Harmonic Distortion + Noise
- 0.02 % or less (SENS Knob: +4 dBu, Input Level Knob: 0)
- Frequency Response
- 20 Hz to 40 kHz (0 to -3 dB, Sampling Frequency: 96 kHz/192 kHz)
- Input Effects
- Limiter, Low cut, Stereo channel link
- MS microphone decoder
- For REC, for play and monitor
- Slate Mic/Tone
- Slate Mic: Built-in, Slate Mic: 1 kHz, –20 dBFS/Alarm Tone
- Pre Fader Listening (PFL), Real Time Analyzer (RTA)
- Other Terminals
- USB Interface
- A Type Connector (For USB Memory) supports USB 2.0 and 1.1 Mass Storage Device Class.
B Type Connector (For Computer) supports USB 2.0 and 1.1 Mass Storage Device Class or USB Audio (Hi-Speed USB, 10 channels inputs and 8 channels outputs)
*When sampling rate is 192kHz, the USB audio interface is inactive.
- SMPTE Timecode
- BNC Connectors (Conforms to SMPTE 12M-1999)
- Frame rates: 23.976, 24, 25, 29.97, 29.97D, 30, 30D
Modes: INT, RTC, REC-RUN, EXT SYNC, EXT (AUTO JAM), EXT SYNC REC, EXT REC
Clock Accuracy - Max Error Rate : 15ppm
- CONTROL 1,2 jack
- 1/4-inch TRS phone type
- 160 x 160 dots graphic display (touch screen)
- IN 1 to 8 Peak Indicators, Slate Mic Indicator, REC Indicator, Play Indicator
- Power Supply
- AC Adaptor (PSB-1U), Alkaline battery (AA, LR6) x 8, or Rechargeable Ni-MH battery (AA, HR6) x 8, External Power Supply: 4-pin XLR type (9 to 16 V)
- Owner's Manual, AC Adaptor (PSB-1U), AC Adaptor - 4pin XLR type connector conversion cable
- Recording Time using 32GB SDHC memory card
- 1ch: 100 hours (16 bits/44.1 kHz), 16 hours (24 bits/192 kHz)
4ch: 25 hours (16 bits/44.1 kHz), 3.8 hours (24 bits/192 kHz)
8ch: 12 hours (16 bits/44.1 kHz), 3.8 hours (24 bits/96 kHz)
10ch: 10 hours (16 bits/44.1 kHz), 3 hours(24 bits/96 kHz)
* These recording times are approximate. Actual results may vary somewhat.
* If more than one recorded file exists, the total recordable time will be less.
- Size and Weight
- 260 mm
- 235 mm
- 93 mm
- 2.67 kg
5 lbs. 15 oz.
- *Weight including batteries
- * 0dBu=0.775Vrms
Updates & Drivers
This contains information on the R-88 driver compatible with Microsoft Windows 10.
This is the R-88 driver for OS X 10.11.
This is a driver for using the R-88 on OS X 10.10.
Mac OS X v10.5 / v10.6 / v10.7 / OS x v10.8